- 4 free-range eggs¼ cup caster sugar
- 400g mascarpone cheese
- 2-3 Tbsp Marsala (or brandy)
- 350ml espresso-strength coffee, cooled
- 250g ladyfinger(savoiardi) biscuits
- Dark chocolate for grating
1. Tiramisu: Separate the eggs into two large bowls (yolks in one, whites in the other).
2. Add the caster sugar to the egg yolks and whisk for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
3. Add the mascarpone cheese and Marsala and whisk again to combine.
4. Clean and dry your whisks, then beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold half the beaten egg whites into the mascarpone mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites until fully incorporated and set aside.
5. Pour the coffee into a wide shallow dish. Set half of the ladyfingers aside, then dip the other half very quickly one by one into the coffee and line the bottom of the serving dish.
6. Spoon half the mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers and spread into an even layer. Grate over a healthy shower of chocolate.
7. Dip the remaining ladyfingers very quickly into the coffee one by one and arrange a second layer over the mascarpone filling. Spoon the remaining mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
8. Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.