Quinoa Salad with Roasted Kumara, Kale, Dried Cranberries, Nuts and Red Onion
This brightly coloured salad is full of goodness and taste, and suitable for gluten-free diets.
View the method
- • 2 large kumaras (orange), peeled and chopped
- • ½ medium red onion, sliced
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 3 cups of fresh kale
- • Salt and pepper, to taste
- • 5 tablespoons pure balsamic vinegar
- • 1 cup uncooked black or red quinoa
- • 2 cups water
- • Pinch of salt
- • ½ cup dried cranberries
- • 1 cup chopped almonds
Back to ingredients
- First, preheat oven on fan bake to 180 degrees Celsius. Throw in mixing bowl chopped kumara and red onions. Mix in olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in oven on large baking sheet for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- Next, put fresh kale on baking sheet. Drizzle with two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and sea salt to taste. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy and wilted (can be baked in same oven temp as kumara above).
- At the same time as veggies are roasting, make the quinoa per instructions on packet. Add salt to taste. Once cooked, remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let cool.
- Finally, chop up the crispy cooked kale and combine with roast kumara, red onions, quinoa, chopped almonds, dried cranberries. Drizzle the remaining balsamic vinegar on the salad, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve fresh.
- Makes 3-4 full cups or up to 6 ½ cup servings.