Greek style lamb salad with zucchini fritters
It’s summer and time to put aside the potatoes and gravy and serve something deliciously fresh and vibrant alongside your perfectly cooked lamb. Inspired by the flavours of Greece, Al Brown’s salad is a total showstopper and pairs wonderfully with the main star of the show – lamb!
Zucchini, feta and mint fritters
- 500gm zucchini (grated)
- ½ Tbsp flaky sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup flour
- 120gm crumbly feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup fresh mint (chopped fine)
- 1 x roasted or barbecued leg of lamb – butterflied or whole
- ½ telegraph cucumber (seeds removed and cut into battons)
- 200gm cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ cup green olives (pips removed and halved)
- ½ cup kalamata olives (pips removed and halved)
- 1 small red onion
- 80gm crumbly feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2-3 tbsp fresh oregano roughly chopped or 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon (juice of)
- flaky sea salt and fresh black pepper
1. Place the grated zucchini in a bowl, add the salt, mix through and leave for 5 minutes. This will draw the liquid out of the grated zucchini. Squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and flour together to form a thickish batter.
3. Add the batter along with the crumbled feta, the breadcrumbs, and fresh mint. Mix together with a wooden spoon. Season with a liberal amount of fresh black pepper.
4. For the Greek salad place all the ingredients in a bowl except the salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine, taste a little then season with a little flaky sea salt and a liberal grind of fresh black pepper. Then store in the fridge until needed.
5. Pre heat the oven to 90 degrees and place a skillet or pan on medium high heat. Once hot, add a little oil, then spoon in fritter sized portions of the zucchini mix. Cook for a couple of minutes either side until golden, then place on a suitable dish and keep warm in the oven whilst you finish the batch.
6. To serve, take a suitable sized platter, spoon over the tzatziki on the base of the platter. Add the zucchini fritters, then top with slices of the lamb, then to finish, spoon over the Greek salad and enjoy!