The best lamb shanks ever
"This dish is very easy to make and you can always have the ingredients in your pantry, just waiting for the moment you decide to surprise guests with the fantastic taste. I have been making it for many years and my daughters both make it to. All the people I cook it for want the recipe."
- 6 New Zealand Lamb Shanks
- 1 packet Maggi Oxtail Soup
- 1 packet Maggi Onion Soup
- 350ml good quality New Zealand red wine
- 3 whole heads New Zealand garlic
- Put lamb shanks in roasting dish.
- Mix both packets of soup with the red wine and pour over the lamb shanks.
- Cut unpeeled garlic heads in half and place in roasting pan around the lamb shanks.
- Cover roasting dish tightly with foil, and cook on 150-160°C for 3½ hours. Check half way through cooking time and add more wine if sauce is getting too thick. At this time also turn the shanks over. The meat will be literally falling off the bone. I also squish the garlic through the sauce. YUM!
- I like to serve this with a mash (carrot and parsnip) is the family fav, and fresh green beans.