- Chicken bones / carcass (from roasted chicken)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 8 cups water (2 litres)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ leek, thinly sliced including the green top
- ¼ cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ packet spaghetti
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- Leftover gravy (optional)
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
1. Make the chicken broth for the soup by placing the chicken carcass, salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf (if using) and water into a large pot. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for at least 60 minutes.
2. Once the broth is ready, sieve the broth, making sure to catch the liquid in a bowl. Discard the chicken bones.
3. Return the chicken broth to the pot and add the carrots, leek, cabbage, spaghetti, chicken, frozen mixed vegetables and cannellini beans. Stir in leftover gravy (if using), chicken stock cubes and mixed herbs. Simmer the soup for 10–15 minutes, until the spaghetti is cooked. If you find the soup is too thick, you can add more water.
4. Season the soup with salt and pepper before serving.