Creamy chicken lasagne
"I created Creamy Chicken Lasagne because I was looking for an Italian-style family dish using chicken. It is rich with mushrooms, tomatoes and pesto, with a creamy white sauce and parmesan topping."
View the method
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 600g boneless chicken thighs, cubed 10mm
- 200g mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 4 Tbsp red wine
- 400g can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp pesto -basil and pine nut
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 100g butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 600ml creamy milk
- Pkt fresh lasagne
- 60g freshly grated parmesan cheese (NZ is fine)
Back to ingredients
- Set oven to 180degrees.
- Put a large pan of water on to heat for the pasta.
- Chicken Sauce: In a large fry pan heat the olive oil, and cook the chopped onion till softening. Add the cubed chicken meat and cook till lightly coloured; pour in the wine and let bubble up then add the chopped tomatoes, bring back to boil then add the sliced mushrooms. Simmer 15mins, add tomato paste and pesto, simmer till forms a creamy sauce.
- Meanwhile prepare the White sauce. Melt the butter in a litre glass jug, 1min HI in microwave, add flour and whisk till smooth. Add about 1cup of milk, whisk till evenly mixed, heat 1minHI, whisk to pick up all butter mixture from sides of jug. Add rest of milk, continue to heat 1min HI then stir, till mixture is thick and creamy.
- Cut the pasta into rectangles suitable to fit your oven proof dish, add to boiling water and fast-boil 5mins. Drain and place in large bowl of cold salted water.
- Place layer of chicken sauce in oven dish, then pasta, white sauce; continue to layer finishing with pasta then white sauce, then grated parmesan.
- Bake 30mins in pre-set oven, let stand 5mins before serving.