Portuguese chicken & pasta a la sam
"Mama Dilce's chicken and pasta favourite recipe across 3 generations!"
View the method
- 2 packets chicken drumsticks (6-8 pieces)
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 25ml olive oil
- 3 tsp Sweet Basil
- 3 tsp Tarragon
- 3 tsp Tumeric
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Back to ingredients
- Chop onions and garlic finely and gently fry in olive oil in a large-sided stainless steel pot, stirring frequently with a spatula until onions lightly caramelised (start to brown).
- Add chopped tomatoes and spices and gently cook on low heat stirring frequently until tomatoes dissolve and thicken.
- De-skin chicken drumsticks and make deep cuts into chicken to ensure thorough cooking. Add chicken drumsticks to pot with 100ml boiling water and cook on low heat with lid on stirring frequently and adding water in necessary until chicken thoroughly cooked 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot to a clean container and add a kettle of boiling water to pot and bring to boil.
- Add pasta and cook gently until pasta is "al dente" (10-15 minutes)
- Add chicken drumsticks to pasta and 50 ml water, stir thouroughly and cook gently with lid on for further 5-10 minutes to re-heat chicken.
- Pre-heat plates and serve. Add grated parmesan cheese to taste.