Ingrid's spring asparagus farinata
I used a 30cm pizza pan but you could use a large oven-proof frying pan. The batter only needs to line the pan, much like a pancake.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, shaved (see tip) - for topping
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or thyme - for topping
- 1 tbsp oil - for topping
- Preheat oven to 230°C or 210°C fan bake.
- In a bowl sift the chickpea flour and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the lukewarm water, whisking continuously until smooth. Stir in the oil. Allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Place the shaved asparagus in a separate bowl. Add a splash of olive oil; mix to coat.
- Drizzle olive oil into pizza pan. Place pan in the preheated oven for 5 minutes until oil is hot.
- Pour in the batter. Scatter with the shaved asparagus and fresh herbs.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until batter is set. Turn the oven grill to highand grill the top for 5-10 minutes until golden and crispy.
To serve: Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt then, when slightly cooled, cut into wedges and serve with a green salad.
To shave asparagus, hold the woody ends like a handle and peel with a vegetable peeler; set aside the tough ends. Slice any leftovers into thin strips. Use the woody ends to flavour soups or stocks.