Pork loin with roasted pears
Present this on your table and prepare for silence. This mouthwatering roast is the perfect way to spend your Sundays and the addition of the pears is a tasty twist on a classic apple sauce.
View the method
- 2 kg rolled pork loin, rind scored
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- Crisp roasted potatoes, to serve
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ cup sage leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Roasted Pears
- 3 firm Beurre Bosc pears, quartered
- 750g fennel, trimmed and cut into 1cm slices
- 2 red onions, sliced into thick wedges
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1¾ cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup sage leaves
Back to ingredients
- To make fennel rub, place all ingredients in a food processor and mix well. Or place seeds, sage, garlic and lemon in a mortar and grind with a pestle. Stir in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the roasted pears. Rub the remainder all over the flesh of the pork. Avoid getting it on the rind as this will affect the crackling. Roll and truss pork with kitchen string.
- Combine ½ tablespoon oil and salt in a bowl. Rub over rind. Place pork on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Roast pork at 240˚C for 30 minutes or until rind has crackled. Reduce temperature to 180˚C. Cook for a further 50 minutes to 1 hour or until pork juices run clear. Remove pork to a platter. Rest, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine pears, fennel and onions with the rub and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over lemon juice and ¼ cup stock. Sprinkle over sage leaves. Cover with foil. Roast in 180˚C oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Roast for another 25 minutes or until golden and tender.
- To make gravy, drain excess oil from the pan used for the pork and place the roasting pan on a medium heat on hob. Sprinkle in flour. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add cider, whisk until smooth. Add remaining stock. Reduce heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Season to taste.
- Serve the pork loin with roasted fennel and pear, gravy and potatoes.