Pulled pork in coca-cola chipotle BBQ sauce
Nothing beats the taste of a good ol' BBQ to warm you up this winter. Our recipe adds a refreshing Coke twist to tangy Chipotle BBQ sauce. Pour it on pulled pork for a delicious combo that'll fire up the party. Perfect in tacos or slider buns!
- Slow Cooker
- Summer BBQ
- For pulled pork:
- 2 kilograms pork shoulder
- 2 onions, sliced
For BBQ sauce:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 700 gms tomato purée
- 125 gms chipotles in adobo
- 150 gms apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans Classic Coca-Cola or Coca-Cola No Sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to make the Coca-Cola chipotle BBQ sauce
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in your preferred vegetable oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add the coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and fry off until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, chipotles, vinegar and Coca-Cola and stir to incorporate thoroughly, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Let simmer, uncovered, until thickened – it should coat the back of a wooden spoon – for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Makes about 1.5 litres. The sauce will keep in the fridge up to two weeks.
How to make the pulled pork
- TOTAL TIME: 8 hr 20 min
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 hr
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and brown off in medium hot oil on all sides.
- In a slow cooker, lay a bed of onion slices then place browned pork on top.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the pork until it reaches about halfway up the sides of roast.
- Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Alternatively, cook in a standard oven 135°C for 8 hours, wrapped in aluminium foil.