Savoury banana fritters
"This spicy snack is from a coastal region of South India. It's definitely a crowd pleaser."
View the method
- 2 raw green bananas, (halved, peeled and sliced lengthwise)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder (substitute with cayenne pepper if you want)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Water to make fritter batter
Back to ingredients
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl together, except oil and bananas, to make a pasty-batter. It should be slightly thicker than pancake batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When oil is ready, dip the peeled and sliced bananas in the prepared batter and fry till golden brown.
- Serve hot with tea or coffee. Or serve them with a dash of hot sweet-chilli sauce.
- You can make hot and spicy sandwiches with these fritters, just put them between 2 slices of bread, then drizzle some sweet-chilli sauce and you get great tasting sandwiches for lunch! Very yummy!