Yellow lemon rice
"Very popular dish from South India. This is one is simple and easy. I have added some more ingredients to, it to make it more tasty. Even though it is a simple dish, it is richly flavoured. You can add ingredients depending on what you have. You can use lemon or lime here."
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 twig curry leaves
- 4 green chillies, chopped (alter the chillies if to your taste)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut- grated (can also use dessicated)
- 1/4 cup lemon/lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cook rice in 4 cups of water till soft and tender or for 15-18 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in fry pan and when the oil is ready, add mustard and cummin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add Asafoetida (this is optional).
- Add chopped onions and fry till they are transparent.
- Now add turmeric and stir.
- Add green chillis, curry leaves and salt. saute well.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice and stir.
- Add rice and mix thoroughly.
- Put in the grated coconut and give it a good mix.
- Then add the remaining lemon juice and further mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with Poppadoms, fresh vegge salad and indian mango pickle.