Coconut, Pumpkin and Kumara Soup
"My love for pumpkin soup started at my mothers house where pumpkin soup, cheesy bread and sour cream was a favourite winter dish. I Love cooking it for myself, freezing it and eating it for lunch or dinner. This is a light creamy version with all the best bits of classic and contemporary recipes."
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 pumpkin
- 1 peeled kumara
- 1 peeled potato
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 small knob of butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 400ml tin of coconut cream
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Roughly chop vegetables and bacon into small cubes.
- Place pumpkin and kumara onto an ovenproof dish in a single layer, cover with oil, salt and pepper and roast for half an hour.
- Remove pumpkin from oven and cool on bench.
- Melt butter with curry powder in the bottom of a sauce pan, add sliced onion and garlic and soften.
- Add bacon and cook for a minute.
- Put the rest of the vegetables in the saucepan and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock, bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until all vegetables are soft enough to puree.
- Use a blender stick to puree the soup as best you can, thin with coconut cream. Season to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and cheesy toast soldiers.