Icelandic mussel chowder with kelp
"I enjoyed this dish in 1967 while working in Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland, in a fish factory and I've been making it ever since. NZ green lip mussels are ideal."
- 1 dozen mussels, shelled and minced
- 300g kelp, cut into 1cm squares
- 300g sweet corn kernels
- 300g potatoes, diced
- 300g peas
- 300g carrots, diced
- 1 litre cream
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients except the mussels.
- Simmer gently until vegetables are tender.
- Add minced mussels.
- Bring back to a gentle simmer.