Haloumi Grill 'n' Salad
No need to throw another steak on the barbie – make it a meat-free monday with crispy golden haloumi on the grill instead.
View the method
- 2 x 200g blocks Mainland Haloumi
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 3 tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges, then halved
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2cm dices
- ¾ cucumber, cut into 2cm dices
- ½ red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Back to ingredients
- Cut haloumi in half horizontally to create two flat steaks about 1cm thick.
- Mix the garlic with lemon zest, oil and oregano in a bowl that will fit the haloumi. Add the haloumi, turn to coat and allow to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- While haloumi is marinating, make the salad by combining all remaining ingredients.
- To cook the haloumi, heat a ridged pan or barbecue grill over a high heat. When it is super hot, lift the haloumi out of the marinade, reserving the marinade, and cook, turning once, until char lines appear and it is softened (2 minutes on each side).
- Divide the salad between 4 plates or bowls, top each with a grilled haloumi steak and drizzle with the leftover marinade.
- Great served with grilled ciabatta bread.