Go-To Oven-baked mushroom risotto
The mushroom risotto has been a classic for decades, and this one is quick, easy and super filling. Boasting the earthy flavours of the mushrooms, and loaded with their healthy nutrients, it’s a tasty option for the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups (400g) Arborio rice
- 150ml white wine
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock, warmed
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
Mushroom & Garlic Topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 250g button mushrooms, halved
- 400g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ cup oregano leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Heat an oven-proof, stove-proof, 6-litre casserole dish over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in the dish, then add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat in the butter. Add the wine and cook for 4 minutes, or until evaporated. Add the stock all at once. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then remove and gently stir in the grated parmesan. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove from the oven and allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for the mushroom & garlic topping, heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the butter and cook for 30 seconds, or until foaming. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the garlic is crisp. Add the oregano to the pan in the last 30 seconds of cooking.
Get inspired: You can make this dish with wild mushrooms.
You can also use a frying pan and transfer the risotto to a casserole dish before it goes in the oven.
Spoon the mushrooms on top of the risotto. Sprinkle with extra grated parmesan to serve.