"Served at room temperature, you can taste the heart of Italy in this robust salad and be transported to those long, noisy, festive, family meals that make Italian culinary culture so endearing."
View the method
- 1 ciabatta loaf cut into thick slices and then in half
- 600g fresh ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 1cm slices
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 100g caperberries
- 80g anchovy fillets, broken into pieces
- 80g black olives, pitted and cut in half
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
Back to ingredients
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Over a bowl, scoop out the seeds.
- Mix the seeds and juice with the garlic, ½ cup olive oil, salt and pepper and vinegar.
- Place the bread in a bowl, pour over the juice and toss until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- Brush the aubergine slices with ⅓ cup olive oil then char grill or barbeque in batches until tender. Slice into strips.
- In a large dish, make a layer with some of the soaked bread. Top with some of the tomatoes, aubergine, caperberries, anchovies and olives, then cover with another layer of bread. Continue until all the ingredients have been used up, finishing with a layer of the tomatoes, aubergine etc. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Leave to stand for an hour at room temperature before serving.