Enter products into the relevant class according to what is printed on the label. For example, if the label states IPA, enter it into class 4, IPA.
Minimum volume requirement for products not currently stocked in Foodstuffs ambient DC - click here for outer cases required. Please note, Foodstuffs is supporting industry moves to outers of 12 for single bottles and cans.
- Similar style beers and ciders are grouped together within a class to ensure consistency of judging.
- Brewers notes are important to ensure entries are judged correctly.
- Judges will work collaboratively on tables and blind-taste and evaluate each entry based on technical excellence, balance and, most importantly, drinkability.
- The top entries in each class will then be randomised, re-tasted and ranked by the Table Captains and Chair to determine the Top 30. These Top 30 beers and ciders will be rewarded with distribution through New World stores nationwide.
- The next 70 top brews will be Highly Commended and will feature on the New World website, creating a list of the Top 100 beers and ciders.
- For Top 30 beers & ciders fitting the entry criteria that are new into Foodstuffs ambient DC, orders will be placed w/c 4 May.
- For Top 30 beers & ciders already stocked in Foodstuffs DC, orders will be reviewed and increased as appropriate for the four week awards' promotional period.
|1. Lager||All products labelled as Lager including dark lagers.|
|2. Pilsner||All products labelled as Pilsner.|
|3. Pale Ale||All products labelled as Pale Ale including American pale ale, NZ pale ale, extra pale ale, strong pale ale etc.|
|4. IPA||All products labelled as IPA Includes double IPA, red IPA, black IPA etc.|
|5. Stout & Porter||All products labelled as Stout or Porter.|
|6. Wheat & Other Grain Beer||All products labelled as wheat beer and predominantly featuring other grains such as rye, oats, rice, corn, gluten free etc.|
|7. Sour, barrel-aged, fruit, flavoured, spiced, smoked, specialty & experimental||All products that note on the label that they are sour, barrel-aged, have added fruit, flavouring, spice, are smoked, specialty or experimental.|
|8. Other ales and beers||All products that fall outside the above classes eg brown ales, Belgian-styles, Scotch ales, bitter, summer ale, Irish ale, amber ale etc.|
|9a. Modern NZ Cider - Dry||Up to 20.5g/L residual sugar or Final S.G. of < 1.008|
|9b. Modern NZ Cider - Medium||20.5-38.2g/L residual sugar or Final S.G. 1.008-1.015|
|9c. Modern NZ Cider - Sweet||More than 38.2g/L residual sugar or Final S.G of > 1.015|
|10a. Traditional Cider - Dry||Up to 20.5g/L residual sugar or Final S.G. of < 1.008|
|10b. Traditional Cider - Medium||20.5-38.2g/L residual sugar or Final S.G. 1.008-1.015|
|10c. Traditional Cider - Sweet||More than 38.2g/L residual sugar or Final S.G of > 1.015|
|11. Perry / Pear Cider||Minimum 75% Pear juice, maximum 25% Apple juice, with no other fruit or flavouring, and must have the characteristics of Pear Cider. Maximum of 9% ABV. Please include SG in the Brewers Notes.|
|12a. Cider Blends - Cider with Fruit||Cider or Perry/Pear Cider made with added fruit only. Max ABV 9%. Does not include ciders with a blend of fruit and spices, botanicals etc. Please include SG in the Brewers Notes.|
|12b. Cider Blends - Cider with Spices, Botanicals, Hops or Honey||Cider or Perry / Pear Cider made with added spices, botanicals, hops or honey, including ginger, chili, chocolate / cocoa, elderflower, as well as these blended with fruit. Max ABV 9%. Please include SG in the Brewers Notes.|
|13a. Specialty Cider - Ice Cider||Cider made from fruit frozen prior to pressing or juice that has been freeze concentrated. No other added sweeteners allowed. ABV 7 -13%. Please include SG in the Brewers Notes.|
|13b. Specialty Cider - Bottle Fermented Cider||Cider or Perry / Pear Cider that has been fermented in bottle. Please include SG and whether Bottle Conditioned or Methode in the Brewers Notes.|
|13c. Specialty Cider - Other Specialty Cider||Cider or Perry / Pear Cider that does not fit in any other category. Open ended class intended for particularly innovative ciders. Please include SG and intended style under the Brewers Notes.|
Entries closed 14 February 2020.
All enquiries are welcome and can be directed to the Competition Director:
Rachel Touhey, Foodstuffs NZ