Go-to sausage and broccoli frittata
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this frittata couldn’t be simpler to prepare. It’s also easy to make it your own – all you have to do is add different sausages or vegetables. Work with your favourite flavours, or what you have in the fridge.
- 8 breakfast beef sausages
- 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 small fennel, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1 medium kumara, peeled and grated
- 400g can corn kernels, drained
- 6 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups single cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet fruit chutney or sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup (150g) frozen peas
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- Fresh crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Heat a heavy-based, oven-proof frying pan over medium heat. Cook the sausages, turning, until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and drain on absorbent paper. Set aside.
- Keep the frying pan on the heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook for 6 minutes, or until caramelised. Add the kumara and corn kernels. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cream, chutney and cheese.
- Add the sausages, broccoli florets, peas and cherry tomatoes to the frying pan over the top of the other vegetables. Pour over the egg and cream mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, the egg mixture is set and the top is golden. Once cooked, allow the frittata to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Cook’s Tips:To make this vegetarian, use beans instead of sausages.
You can also use different types of flavoured sausages, such as chorizo.