Great kiwi seafood chowder
"A chowder is basically thick and creamy soup usually made with seafood, especially in New Zealand. I have experienced seafood chowder many times in restaurants before and decided to create my own chowder using New Zealand's abundance of seafood."
- 1 big kumara cut up into small chunks
- 100g scallops
- 100g prawns
- 100g shrimps
- 100g terakihi or hoki cut into medium sized chunks.
- 1kg of greenlip mussels (whole)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 250g cream or creme fraiche
- 400g stock (vege or seafood)
- Fry garlic, onion, thyme and celery in a pan.
- At the same time steam your mussels until they open and the de-beard them (green fuzzy thing).
- Add your kumara in with the stock. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer.
- Once kumara is soft add your seafood and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt, add in cream and continue to reduce until you have a thick and creamy chowder!
- Serve and garnish with a pinch of pepper and parsley.
- Enjoy and eat!