Roast pumpkin soup
"This pumpkin soup is not only quick and easy to make, but the roasted vegetables provide a depth of flavour that is essentially New Zealand. I love to make this soup for my family on cold winter days."
View the method
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups (750mL) chicken stock
- 2/3 cup (160mL) cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C or 180°C fan-bake).
- Combine pumpkin, garlic and onion in a large baking dish; drizzle with oil.
- Roast for about 40 minutes then remove garlic and put aside. Continue roasting the pumpkin and onion for about another 20 minutes or until soft.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin, then blend or process the roasted vegetables with stock until smooth.
- Place mixture in a large saucepan, stir over heat until hot; stir in cream and thyme.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with hot crusty bread.