- 1 kilogram pumpkin, peeled and seeded (yields 800 grams)
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Chop the pumpkin into 2-3cm chunks and place in a large saucepan with the celery, carrot and onion. Mix the oil through the vegetables. Cover with a lid and place the saucepan on low heat for approx. 15 minutes to gently sweat and draw out the flavours of the vegetables without browning them.
- Add the stock adjusting the amount if required to ensure the vegetables are covered. Add the tomato paste. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer until the vegetables are very soft.
- Remove from the heat. Add the nutmeg. Allow the soup to cool before blending. Adjust the consistency. Reheat and check the seasoning before serving.