This promotion has endedTe Urunga-Tu Sunrise Experience is a unique and unforgettable experience to be the first in the world to greet the dawn in the land of the first light. Your journey to the top begins at the base of Maunga Hikurangi (Mount Hikurangi) in Ruatoria. Under the dark Southern skies and a blanket of brilliant stars, the Te Urunga-Tu Sunrise Experience is an adventure like no other.
Bundled up with helmets on, traverse the serene landscape by 4WD, cross fertile farmland and rural pastures until you reach the first point of mainland New Zealand to see the sunrise each day. Watch the world awaken surrounded by nine larger than life carved pou (pillars) that stand as sacred cultural treasures of the local Ngati Porou people atop Maunga Hikurangi.
Listen and learn as your expert Ngati Porou guide provides an in-depth and intimate story of each and every one of the carvings, who or what they represent and the significance they hold to the Māori culture. With roots that can be traced back to the Māori creation story, to when Maui Tikitiki-a-Taranga slowed the sun, gifted us fire and fished Aotearoa from the sea. Come hear our history, explore our land and meet the descendants of Maui on Maunga Hikurangi.
The tour also includes:
- Incredible photo ops at world-first sunrise
- Native seedling to plant as part of eco-project
- Participation in a karakia (traditional Māori blessing)
- Gift from the Ngati Porou tribe
- Light breakfast atop Maunga Hikurangi all locally sourced
- Confirmed annual closure dates for the Maunga Hikurangi experience are October (closed for lambing season) and for 24 hours from 12pm 31st December – 12pm 1st January (closed for the Ngati Porou Dawn Ceremony.)