Cinnamon-spiced pavlova with vanilla mascarpone and butterscotch sauce
A cinnamon-spiced layered meringue cake, with vanilla mascarpone and butterscotch sauce. This heavenly dessert does require a bit of prep, so make the meringue the day before.
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Mascarpone filling:
- 500 grams mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butterscotch sauce:
- 1 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 50 grams butter
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- ½ cup toasted flaked almonds
- Grated chocolate to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, line three baking trays with baking paper and draw an 18cm circle on each.
- Sift the cornflour, cream of tartar, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric beater until foamy then slowly add the sugar one tablespoon at a time constantly beating and allowing the sugar to be incorporated before adding the next amount.
- When the mixture is thick, stiff and glossy, fold in the sifted spice mixture and the vinegar.
- Divide the mixture evenly among your three circles, smoothing the tops with a spatula and place in the oven evenly spaced.
- Bake for 5 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 140°C and bake a further 1 hour 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave meringues to completely cool. (You may have to circulate the position of the meringues layers in the oven depending on the consistency of the heat in the oven).
Place the mascarpone, cream and vanilla in a bowl and beat together until smooth.
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Gently simmer for 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly then cool.
Place one meringue layer on a serving platter, top with half the mascarpone filling and drizzle over one-third of the sauce. Repeat this process once more and sprinkle half the almonds over the top.
Place the cake in the refrigerator for 1 hour before you serve.
Finish the top with the whipped cream, drizzles of caramel, remaining almonds and a light grating of grated chocolate.