Keeping kids interested in their lunchbox contents can sometimes test parents' patience, so we've come up with some back to school ideas to help keep their lunches fun and varied.
School lunch tips
- Create a meal plan for each week so you know what needs to be brought each week
- Plan for healthy lunches and snacks for the kids lunchboxes
- Keep it interesting: The first step in getting your child to eat all their lunch is to make them excited about it!
- There are so many inventive ways of jazzing up your child’s lunch. Use a thermos to keep food warm until lunchtime (mac and cheese anyone?) or turning food into different shapes is a sure fire way to keep your child interested.
- Keep it cool: Keeping your kids lunch cool can be delicious too. Freeze a bunch of grapes; place them in a zip-lock bag to keep the rest of their lunch fresh and cool. Then they’ve got a snack at the end of it too! A frozen drink bottle will also act as an ice pack but melt into nice, cool water by lunch.
- Do it yourself: Really impress your kids by making all their favourite treats yourself! If they have a hand in making them, they’re even more likely to eat them. You could make your own healthy chips for the lunchbox by using thinly sliced kumara, apple, carrot or tearing up kale leaves into a few small pieces - just rub in a little olive oil, and bake in a hot oven until crispy. Kids will love them!